Vision and Ethos
Our Meridian High School Vision, Values and Ethos
Vision – what is a vision?
Our Meridian vision statement is a declaration of our objectives, intended to guide our improvement journey.
Challenge - Learn - Achieve
Our renewed focus at Meridian High School is based on our Vision:
All students should be Challenged and therefore able to Learn and Achieve; whilst developing the values and cultural capital needed to develop meaningful and aspirational life outcomes.
In principle, in order to fulfil our Vision:
- Our staff challenge our students using our ‘Challenge- Learn- Achieve’ philosophy.
- Our staff ensure all students learn, supported by the principles of our values ‘Resilience- Ambition- Respect.’
- Our staff celebrate the achievements of our children.
- Our students challenge themselves and aspire to learn and achieve academic and personal success.
Values- what are values?
Our Meridian Values are the principles that help us to decide what is right and wrong, our values underpin the ethos of the school and form the foundation on which we develop our improvement journey.
Our Meridian Values
Resilience- Ambition- Respect
Our values of Resilience, Ambition and Respect are underpinned by Daniel Goleman’s theory of Emotional Intelligence.
|Resilience||Self Awareness- To recognise their emotions at any given time and understand the impact those moods have on others
Self Regulation - To be able to control motions and anticipate consequences before acting on impulse
|Ambition||Self Motivation -To use emotional factors to achieve goals, enjoy the learning process and persevere in the face of obstacles|
Empathy-To understand and act appropriately to the emotions of others
Social Skills-To manage relationships, inspiring others and inducing positive responses from them
Ethos – what is an ethos?
Ethos is a Greek word meaning "character" that is used to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community,
The ethos of Meridian High School is encapsulated within our core values: our students are challenged, learn and achieve in their academic careers whilst personally developing resilience, ambition and respectful attitudes.
How will Meridian High School fulfil its Vision, Values and Ethos?
In order to ensure we fulfil our Vision, Value and Ethos statements, we recognise that we 'Require Improvement' (Ofsted2019). Our team of dedicated teachers and support staff are relentlessly focused on improving the Quality of Education. We recognise that our students are entitled to a strong and purposeful quality of education. We work closely with our Multi Academy Trust, GLF Schools. GLF Schools support is focused on our core aims for the year and our Improvement Plan. Our aim is to ensure our students can ‘Grow, Learn and Flourish’ as students of GLF Schools.
Our school improvement aims for 2020-2021:
- Exceptional teaching with strong challenge, every student taught well planned and engaging lessons
- Develop students as motivated, independent learners so they leave with the skills for post 16 study
- Challenge, consistency and drive improves accountability at all levels
- School/students to make positive progress through higher academic outcomes / achievement
- Strong focus on literacy, oracy and reading to unlock a love of learning for every student.